Thursday, April 24, 2008

OMG. I Support the ACLU!

This might make my card-carrying-member-of-the-ACLU Dad cry, but I think I actually support the Texas ACLU.

Well, not the ACLU, per se, but their
monitoring of the FLDS hearings.

While we acknowledge that Judge Walthers' task may be unprecedented in Texas judicial history, we question whether the current proceedings adequately protect the fundamental rights of the mothers and children of the FLDS,” said Terri Burke, Executive Director of the ACLU of Texas.

As this situation continues to unfold, we are concerned that the constitutional rights that all Americans rely upon and cherish – that we are secure in our homes, that we may worship as we please and hold our places of worship sacred, and that we may be with our children absent evidence of imminent danger – have been threatened,” Burke said.

I feel as if I am the only one on the Westside, conservative or liberal, who is fundamentally concerned with the government coming in and taking these children. At this time, there is no proof of abuse other than the wearing of 19th century clothing, and abstinence from 21st century life (television, processed foods, drugs, graffiti, stds).

Polygamy aside (personally, I don't share and I'm not into sloppy seconds), at the end of the day, is the "abuse" of these children the concept of obedience and family and rejection of the "me-first" culture of 21st Century America? Whose religion, creed, ethos is next? The Hasidic Jews or Muslims? I don't personally like the way they dress women either. What about the Hindus? Are we going to force them to eat at In-n-Out?

We might not all agree with one another, believe in the same God, but in America we have the Constitutional right to practice our religions free from government interference.

If we are to follow the argument in the FLDS case, that a pregnant underage girl is legal cause to tear a family apart, can we please begin with
Jamie Lynn Spears?

No comments: